Authors: Linh Nguyen and Shion Kimu
Did you ever wonder how fictional animated movies and arts are produced?
With constant development of digital technologies, we are more and more mesmerized by their capabilities. Pictures and paintings are not no longer created only by colors and brushes anymore. Now they are being created by lines of code, design software, and touch panels. In this blog, we are going to walk through several products of virtual reality and 3D printing, which are expanding opportunities for artists and expanding their audience. We will also discuss the impact of digital transformation on the marketing world and potential implications for the future.
- What is digital transformation ?
- The wide variety of digital arts
- Digital technology is a new powerful marketing tool
- List of references
1. What is digital transformation ?
The term digital transformation is known as the integration of digital technology across all functions of an organization, and it significantly alters how you do business and provide value to consumers. Digital transformation in art refers to the use of technology to change the way art is created, shared and experienced. This can include the use of digital tools such as computer software and mobile apps to create digital art, online platforms to share and sell art, and virtual and augmented reality experiences to view art in new ways. The goal of digital transformation in art is to make art more accessible, interactive, and engaging for people, and to open up new possibilities for artists to create and share their work.
2. The wide variety of digital arts
When it comes to exhibitions, museums, ballet, and opera, there are also new art experiences that are influenced by digital art. It is a promising technique that has been utilized to create these experiences, virtual reality. For instance is the Van Gogh museum in Atelier des Lumières. Situated in the romantic city of Paris, visitors get a chance to experience a different world of arts, where they are surrounded by a Van Gogh painting. With the help of enormous videos and light projections, art lovers can walk through the picture and other major works by varying artists here.
Taking the digital art to another level is the movie “Avatar 2” which was lately released. It is considered one of the most complex and ambitious films ever made with a lot of technological advancements and innovations that are now widely used in the film industry. The movie Avatar was made using a combination of cutting-edge technology and traditional filmmaking techniques.
Techniques to bring the film’s alien world of Pandora to life, according to The film’s director, James Cameron
- Performance Capture: Actors’ movements and facial expressions were captured using motion capture technology and then translated onto computer-generated characters.
- Virtual Cameras: Cameron used virtual cameras to pre-visualize the film’s scenes and plan out the camera work before filming.
- Computer-Generated Imagery (CGI): The film’s alien creatures, landscapes, and environments were created using CGI and rendered using powerful computers.
- Motion-Control Photography: Cameron used motion-control photography to capture the live-action elements of the film, such as the human characters.
- 3D Filming: The film was shot in 3D, which added depth and immersion to the film’s visuals.
- Special Effects: The film’s many special effects, including explosions and flying creatures, were created using a combination of practical effects and CGI.
Moving on to the game industry, this field is also known for utilizing the advanced technologies to generate games. For instance, “Horizon Forbidden West” is a highly-anticipated video game developed by Guerrilla Games for the PlayStation 5. The game is made using a combination of cutting-edge technology and extensive game development processes. The development process likely involves multiple stages, including:
- Concept and Design: The game’s creators come up with the overall concept and design for the game, including the game’s story, characters, and world.
- Pre-Production: The team creates a detailed plan for the game’s development, including the game’s systems, mechanics, and features.
- Art and Asset Creation: Artists and designers create the game’s characters, environments, and other assets using 3D modeling and animation software.
- Programming: The game’s systems and mechanics are programmed using various game development tools and programming languages.
- Testing and Debugging: The game is thoroughly tested and debugged to ensure it runs smoothly and is free of bugs.
- Release: The game is released to the public and may continue to receive updates and support post-launch.
3. Digital technology is a new powerful marketing tool (3D visualization)
How KENZO increased sales with 3D visualization
KENZO Paris is a French luxury fashion house established in 1970 by Japanese designer Kenzo Takada. The company is utilizing 3D visualization to improve the presentation of its products and online experiences to customers. This technology offers a detailed and interactive portrayal of the products. It also includes all the important elements required to effectively advertise them, such as lighting, textures, angles, and color shades.
The use of 3D visualization is widespread across various industries, including e-commerce, media and advertising, 3D animation and printing, design, and architecture. This is due to the belief that 3D visualization is more effective for attracting and engaging customers. It’s because the human brain processes visuals much faster than text and 80% of the information we process is visual.
Marketers believe that using this technology in their marketing strategies is the key to success, as it allows customers to customize the product according to their preferences and lifestyle. It is estimated that 25-30% of consumers have a high level of interest in purchasing custom-made products.
Why can 3D visualization do?
3D visualization enables customers to preview items from a 360° angle, interact with it, and make changes if necessary. Customers can now choose their preferred design, color, material, accessories, and even personalize the product with engraving or messages. With just a few clicks, they can order and pay for their customized product.
Another benefit of 3D visualization is its ability to streamline the purchasing process. Once the customer is satisfied, they can order and pay in just a few clicks. This type of technology is particularly useful in the fashion industry, where customers often struggle with sizing and fit. By offering a detailed and interactive preview of the product, 3D visualization technology helps customers to make informed purchasing decisions and reduces the risk of returns and dissatisfaction.
The marketing efforts of KENZO Paris is a smart move that will likely result in increased sales and customer engagement. As consumers continue to demand more personalized and interactive shopping experiences, companies that invest in this type of technology will have a competitive advantage. KENZO Paris is setting the standard for innovative and effective marketing in the fashion industry.
The latest 3D visualization trend for E-Commerce platform
- Interactive Product Demonstrations: 3D visualization is allowing e-commerce companies to provide customers with interactive product demonstrations, allowing them to explore products from every angle, zoom in to see details and even virtually try on items like clothing or jewelry.
- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) experiences: These technologies allow customers to experience products in a more immersive way, through either a fully-realized virtual environment or by overlaying digital information on the physical world.
- Customizable Products: With 3D visualization, customers can now co-design products that better fit their needs and preferences, choosing designs, colors, materials, accessories, and personalizing products with engravings or messages.
- 360° Product View: 3D visualization provides customers with a 360° view of products, enabling them to see the product from all angles and helping to build trust and confidence in their purchasing decision.
In conclusion, digital transformation has had a significant impact on the art world. The advent of digital tools and technology has opened up new possibilities for artists, allowing them to create and share their work in ways that were previously impossible. Digital art has also enabled greater access to art education and resources, making it more inclusive and democratizing the art world.
With the help of digital tools, artists can reach a wider audience and create art that is interactive, immersive and dynamic. Digital art also has the potential to extend the shelf-life of artworks, making it more accessible to future generations. However, it’s important to note that digital transformation also has its downsides, such as dependence on technology, limited lifespan and limited originality. As digital art continues to grow in popularity, it will be important to strike a balance between utilizing the benefits of digital technology while also preserving the tradition, essence and value of art. Artists and art institutions must adapt to digital transformation by embracing the opportunities it provides, while also being mindful of its limitations and potential challenges.
About the author:
Linh Nguyen studies Informationsmanagement in her third semester with the main focus on marketing, media and communication. She is also a template developer for the KKH insurance company with the head office in Hannover, Germany.
Shion Kimu is in his third semester majoring in the Informationsmanagement. His main focus is Web Science and IT. Currently he is working as a web developer for Activelaw Company in Hannover, Germany.
apviz (2021): How 3D marketing can help raise your conversion rates. Available on https://apviz.io/blog/3d-marketing/ [Accessed on 01.01.2023]
Explore France (2019): Van Gogh im Atelier des Lumières in Paris. Available on https://www.france.fr/de/jetzt-frankreich/van-gogh-im-atelier-des-lumieres-in-paris. [Accessed on 25.12.2022]
Hapticmedia (2022): 3D configurator for KENZO sneakers. Available on https://hapticmedia.com/3d-configurator-shoes/ [Accessed on 31.01.2023]
Impakter (2017): Digital technology is transforming the art world. Available on https://impakter.com/digital-technology-transforming-art-world/. [Accessed on 01.12.2023]
Playstation (2022): Horizon Forbidden West. Available on https://playstation.com/en-us/games/horizon-forbidden-west/
Popular Mechanics (2010); How James Cameron’s Innovative New 3D Tech Created Avatar. Available on https://popularmechanics.com/culture/movies/a5067/4339455/
Screenrant (2010): The Making of James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’. Available on https://screenrant.com/avatar-james-cameron-documentary/
The Drum (2018): Ads We Like: Kenzo turns Rousseau’s ‘Le Rêve’ into a 3D digital jungle. Available on https://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/10/17/ads-we-kenzo-turns-rousseau-s-le-r-ve-3d-digital-jungle [Accessed on 10.01.2023]